This site is intended to be two things:
1. An ongoing blog about my musical work and the misc. intersections between music and my daily life.
2. A canonical, growing archive of my musical output to date.
The first purpose is self-explanatory; to the second purpose, here’s a brief summary of what this site contains:
- A list of songs which I have written, recorded, collaborated on or covered over the years, broken down by year and collaborator as well as indexed alphabetically;
- Detailed entries for each song (see for example Last Minute Loves Songs), including songwriter, lyrics, available recordings, collections those recordings belong to, and commentary on the song itself;
- A list of groups I have worked with creatively over the years, with brief descriptions of each;
- Further detail on each group (see e.g. Heat Lorraine) including history of my involvement, a list of highlights from available recordings, and a full list of all the collections of recordings made with that group; and
- Individual writeups for each collection with a particular group (see e.g. Official The Man So Cool demo), with commentary about the collection and a playlist of the recordings from that collection for ready listening.
Note that the job of creating detailed writeups for many of the collections pages and individual song pages is a big one and will be ongoing for some time; I’ll be noting updates on that front periodically via the blog on the front page of the site.
I’m a 30-year-old musician and professional computer nerd living in Portland, Oregon; I work as a moderator and administrator for the community website Metafilter, where I go by cortex. I’ve been making music for as long as I’ve been making noises, and writing and recording original songs since I was 14.
For more detail about my personal musical history, please take a look at my page in the Groups portion of the site.
If you have questions, suggestions or requests of any sort regarding the site or my music, feel free to contact me at email@example.com .